History of the town of Gaildorf
In the 19th and 20th centuries
The previously Imperial County of Limpurg comes under the authority of Württemberg following the breakup of the German Reich.
As a result, Gaildorf becomes a district town of Württemberg.
1815 - 1819
Justinus Kerner practices as a district medical officer in Gaildorf.
The first post office opens in Gaildorf.
The Villa Waldeck, which today forms the core part of the Bentinck Palace (now the town hall), is built and subsequently extended in 1880.
46 buildings including the church and the Pückler and Limpurg Palace are destroyed in a major town fire.
The railway lines to Hessental and Murrhardt are opened.
The Kerner Tower is built on Kirgel hill.
The gymnasium and festival hall is built with funds donated by Hermann Frasch, the former “sulphur king“ who was raised in Gaildorf (it burnt down in 1945).
The horse market is held in Gaildorf.
The district office of Gaildorf is dissolved and the town is incoporated into the District of Backnang.
The town church and the Pückler Palace are destroyed for a second time by acts of war.
The ARWA stocking works is founded in Unterrot. In its heyday the ARWA works employed up to 1,600 people, but was forced to close in 1973.
The former Bentinck Palace becomes the town hall.
1971 - 1974
Ottendorf, Unterrot and Eutendorf are incorporated into Gaildorf.
The District of Backnang is dissolved. Gaildorf is incorporated into the District of Schwäbisch Hall.
The open-air mineral pool opens.
The sports hall is extended.
Gaildorf celebrates its 600th anniversary as a town.